Translate

Thursday 14 November 2013

THE UNKNOWN HANDS (EPISODE EIGHTEEN)

..the news circulated throughout the village within a short moment of our arrival and people started to troop in from every nook and cranny, some carrying lamps. Before we noticed it, the hunters had gathered round and guns were already booming. The same night, several rights were performed and baba was
finally laid to rest. Early the following morning, a closed door meeting of the members of the Fatokun’s family was held. Even though we the young ones were disallowed from attending, we sat very near to the room where the meeting was being held in despair. Various thoughts lingered on my mind until I suddenly heard my name mentioned.

“Ifabiyi could not have done that. He is just an innocent boy”. I heard one of the woman say. Then there was silence again. It was not a total silence though, for, I could still hear some murmurings and later an old man stressing a point. His voice was however not audible enough and I were at a loss at why I was the focus of their discussion.

It was after the meeting was concluded, that I started to notice another dimension to my suffering. Without explaining what my offence was, I was grabbed by some fierce looking-men and tied to a big tree at the back of the compound. Although my voice was gone as a result of the wailings of the previous day, the little energy left in me was totally exhausted in my new round of weeping.

“What is my offence?” I tried to ask but my voice was totally out. I could not remember quarrelling with anybody. Not even was there any argument between me and any of my play mates as I had been minding the way and manner I comported myself considering the circumstances surrounding my existence. I knew also that even before Baba’s untimely death, there had never been any cause for reprisal as I had been obedient and hardworking in my own little way.

I became more afraid of what my fate would be. Nobody came near me, not even Baba’s children whom I had grown to love and to hold very dear to my heart. There was one of them I was however sure would definitely come no matter how serious the situation could be. I awaited Goroye patiently to brief me on what my offence was. And he did not disappoint me, for; he later showed up to inform me that I was being treated that way because a diviner had linked me with having a hand in Baba’s death. I was mad to hear it.

“Which accursed diviner on earth said that?” I demanded with all the sympathy of my life packed in one voice. How can someone tell such a blatant lie against his fellow man? And why on earth should the people believe such a story? What could I have planned to achieve by biting the fingers that were feeding me? Why couldn't the people understand that even if I was possessed by strange powers, I could never have used it to harm baba? Someone… to be continued on Saturday.

Story series is published every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Don’t miss it

Make  http://fedricxconsult.blogspot.com your homepage today to read articles, story series, Kirikiri news and lots more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

beloved readers drop your comments here.