Translate

Monday 14 July 2014

THE UNKNOWN HANDS (EPISODE ONE)

STORY SERIES
THE UNKNOWN HANDS
 Jide Oyewusi
Fight on my behalf, my head,
My Creator, my interest protect,
The python’s head its fight, fight,
It is in the head the Cobra finds its saviour
The mermaid never experiences shame,
In her defense of the river
Fight for me, my head.
Get behind me, enemy within,
Enemy without, get off my back
The strength of the palm,
Is never strong enough,
To shake a mighty building
The power of the sole,
Cannot harm a path
The Hands of the Alligator
Are too fragile.
To threaten any tree in the forest
Get behind me, my enemy.
The ferocious dog’s bark in the bush,
Goes unnoticed at home,
Edumare has prepared the share of destiny
Revealed to no man.
If a man should know the contents of his destiny,
Only then can he ascertain clearly,
The genesis of his problems.

It was not sheer curiosity that made me to take the unusual decision to venture into the Lantoro forest. Even though I had heard so many different stories about ghost and one would have been willing to know how true these stories were, it was not enough reason to journey into such a forest of death.  An adult does not cry for nothing. An elder is never found running on top speed in the bush except for a very strong reason. He must either be pursuing a cause or trying to avoid a serious calamity. The real situation of things was that life in the midst of men had become too burdensome for me and I had been isolated completely in the scheme of things. I therefore longed for a new lease of life elsewhere, where, if possible, I could find answers to the numerous questions probing my mind.

I had been quite confused that only one of the elders I had met was able to give certain explanations about the existence of ghosts. Not even Pa Ogunjinmi, so revered in the whole village of Imore could help matters. After ruminating for a while over the issue, he had confessed that he knew very little about such things.
“People believe ghosts exist in varying forms but no one is actually sure of anything. I have heard stories about them myself but I have not been able to confirm any of thee stories, perhaps because I don’t pick interest in such issues. I believe that things without remedy should be treated without regard. Or why should a man bother his mind with issues like that when there are lots of better things to think about…”

He paused and then continued,                                               
… Why do you bother yourself unnecessarily about ghosts if I may ask? Don’t you have any work to do….?”
His words hit me like a slap and I felt a little explanation could bail me out.
“Baba, I know I am giving you a lot of trouble on this issue. Pardon me. I am perhaps troubled by my age, couple with the fact that I like finding out the truth about every issue. I don’t want to be a party to rumor mongering. That’s all…”...To be continued on Tuesday..
Story series is published every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Don’t miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

beloved readers drop your comments here.