Translate

Tuesday 15 July 2014

THE UNKNOWN HANDS (EPISODE TWENTY-SIX)

STORY SERIES
...Although the girl shows much understanding and maturity that was even beyond her age, at least, in waiting to talk to a complete stranger like me, I knew that was to sustain her confidence, I must not give her the feeling of anything strange. But from her response, it was easy to conclude that she seemed to have developed some interest in me. When she learnt
that I was heading to Lantoro Forest, she could not control her emotions.

“What on earth is talking you there?” she exclaimed. Because of the linking I had for her, even at first sight, I could not hide anything. I explained to her that I was completely frustrated with life and would not even mind if my life is terminated. I was surprised to see tears well up in Aduke’s eyes, for that was her name, as she listened to some of the experience I was passing through. Then she broke down completely in tears. It was as if I was a brother narrating an ordeal to a sister who found the experience to cruel to be true
‘’if you can meet my father, he will help you ’’ she later told me.

I agreed to meet her father as she suggested but before anything I accompanied her to where she was sent before we returned to Ogodo which was her own village. Something however surprised me in Aduke’s attitude. I discovered that she suddenly became very withdrawn in spite of her initial understanding and cooperation. She changed initially after I had told her of how a friend had spread rumors of my being a ghost. Never was she free with me again from that moment. She moved too fast ahead of me and I just simply forced myself to keep up with the pace as she even increased her own. Whenever I picked her hand she forced it out of my hand. It was only when I threatened to go back, though I knew I could never do such a thing, that she slowed down a bit. My only solace was that her encouraging smile was perpetually there and those smiles alone were enough to brighten up my whole being.

As a matter of fact, I was not totally surprised at her new attitude, for, I later came to realize it was the same with most village girls. Even at Imore, I had watched young girls take to their heels at the sight of young men and I had been surprised that Aduke in her own case had even responded well in the beginning.

The only problem I had at that moment was to find someone I can relate to and who will take me for what I was. Somebody to whom I could pour out my spirit, it had been argued that a problem shared was a problem solved and I no doubt, needed a companion who could go out of all human bias and barrier and just keep me company. It was the same reason I had thought of dropping my Lantoro ambition on coming across Aduke who had shown herself as a good friend even within a short moment our meeting. Once discovers that it is acute frustration that usually leads to discouragement as to want to terminate one’s life. Even a man who has resolved to end his life through hanging will throw away his rope should the light of fortune flash at him, even if for a while. It is a man who is troubled by abject poverty who finds no relevance in the world. The wealthy would do everything possible to stay alive, even if it were possible, bribe death.

As we drew nearer the village, Aduke told me it would not be appropriate for me to follow her directly into her father’s presence. Rather I was to wait a bit and allow her to go her own way separately. Then I could come on my own to meet her father later. She instructed me to ask for chief Ogunlari’s hut, that her father’s name was Ogunlari and he was the Baale of the village. I marveled at the level of her intelligence especially when she told me to keep most of my life history to myself for a while and simply tell her father that I needed a job to keep body and soul together.

At a point,…to be continued on Thursday.

Story series is published every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Don’t miss it

Make http://fedricxconsult.blogspot.com  your homepage today to read articles, story series, Kirikiri news and lots more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

beloved readers drop your comments here.