Translate

Thursday 21 November 2013

THE UNKNOWN HANDS (EPISODE TWENTY-ONE)


STORY SERIES
…started to think over what their next line of action would be. The fact that I knew I was not guilty in any way strengthened me and I was full of hope that my end would not come soon, no matter how profusely I bled.
I was terribly hungry, almost starving to death until Goroye brought me some burnt yam with which he fed me. Before doing so, he too was prepared for the worst. He had shared my trouble all through, for, even when I was nearly killed by those two men, I had watched him also rolling on the ground in sympathy. He untied me having briefed me on the new development. His people had decided to take me back to Orija the following day to find out whatever my stories about my origin were true and to hand me over to my people should the stories be true. Goroye knew I would rather die than return home and he advised that I should find my way off that place immediately.

I heeded his advice. Having thanked him for all his cares, I sneaked into the bush at the back of the compound and wandered slowly over several kilometers into the bush until I came to a narrow path leading to where I knew not. I followed the path until I came to a village named Ifofin the same day. I learnt from the villagers that it was just a few kilometers from Ayedaade and I realized that I should not keep long there.

It was already getting too dark to continue my wandering and I decided to pass the night there before deciding what next to do. Besides, I was even sick with all my body aching as if I was placed inside a burning flame. I shuffled to the evening market where I found the last batch of traders packing up their wares for home. I felt like explaining my situation to one of them perhaps she could house me for that night. Yet I was quick to realize that such a step could bring me undue exposure which might not be favorable. So, I just sat near an uncompleted building and pretended to be waiting for someone until they had all left.

My experience at Ifofin was however what I would not forget in a hurry. At that market which I made my stopover was a big baobab tree. Part of its stem was painted black and another black cloth was tied to one of its branches almost touching the ground. The size of that tree alone was enough to bring fears to a child as none of all trees around it was even one–tenth its size. Its roots stood out conspicuously above the ground leaving one with the impression that it could fall at any time. A closer look however would convince any observer that it was still firmly rooted to the ground. Various strange stories surrounded the existence of such a tree. I had heard speculations in the past that such trees were inhibited by demons while some people had stressed that witches had their meetings on them. No one could say with any precision, however, whether these stories true or not.

A few meters opposite this…to be continued on Thursday.

Story series is published every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Don’t miss it

Make http://fedricxconsult.blogspot.com  your homepage today to read articles, story series, Kirikiri news and lots more.



No comments:

Post a Comment

beloved readers drop your comments here.